Saturday, March 28, 2009

Bedtime Stories

I am a bedtime story person. When I was young, I loved when my mother would read to me. When I was a little older, I loved reading my own book. During the summer I would hide a flashlight under the covers and read late into the night. I loved reading to my children just before bedtime. We read so many fun authors as they grew up.

As my eyes have changed during the years, it is less comfortable for me to read without a crisp, bright light, rendering my evening reading less enjoyable, therefore I have curtailed it.

Last year for my birthday, my darling family gave me an ipod. I have filled it with audio recordings of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings and many many movies. It has now become my ritual to watch a portion of a movie before I go to sleep.

It is a delicious feeling to snuggle down in bed and partake of adventures and comedies and dramas to settle me down from the day's toil. It is also my great delight that the source of this joy came from my beloved family. I actually feel as though my children are reading to me. My heart is full.

1 comment:

brilin said...

I too love to read, I thought I was the only one to do the flashlight trick. I used to do that all the time and my mom would yell at me to turn it off and go to bed. I would for a few minutes and then turn it back on. I still read most nights, but I have had to change to the living room chair with a blanket tucked around me and a bright lamp.
I'm glad you found a way to enjoy stories again.